3 Ways To Help Your Spouse Immigrate To The United States

Having to live in an entirely separate country from your spouse can be really devastating. Fortunately though, there are a wide variety of different things that you can to do help them successfully immigrate to the United States. 

1. Apply For A Green Card 

In order to be able to legally reside in the United States, your spouse is going to need to obtain a green card. However, before your spouse can acquire a green card, you first will need to submit an immigrant visa petition on their behalf.

Immigration officials will also require proof that you and your spouse are actually legally married before they will grant your spouse a green card. You should be prepared to show them items such as your marriage license and photographs from your wedding. 

2. Hire An Immigration Attorney 

Hiring an immigration attorney is the very best way to help your partner immigrate to the U.S. while still abiding by all of the rules. Also, your attorney can help you cut through all of the red tape so that you can bring your loved one to the United States just as quickly as possible. Another great reason to hire an immigration attorney is that they can answer all of the many questions that you're bound to have about the immigration process. 

3. Have Your Spouse Learn English 

If it's at all possible, it's a very good idea to have your spouse try to learn some English before coming over to the United States. Being able to read and speak English will make the transition to living in a brand new country much easier for your loved one.

Depending on which country your partner currently lives in, there might be actual English classes that they can take. Taking classes like this with a live instructor is usually the best way to be able to learn a new language quickly. However, if live classes aren't available then there are a wide variety of other ways that your partner can learn the English language. There are many fine language programs available via books and computer based software programs. Also, once your spouse arrives in the U.S. they may want to consider taking some ESL (English as a second language) classes. 

There's no doubt that having thousands of miles separate you and your spouse can be quite difficult. However, trying even just one or two of these tips should help make it much easier for you and your loved one to be together again. For more immigration tips, contact a firm such as Tesoroni & Leroy.