Family Law: Is Your Ex-Spouse Keeping You From Your Child?

If your ex-spouse does everything in their power to keep you from your child but expects you to pay child support anyway, contact a family law attorney. Unless you have a history of child or spousal abuse, you have the right to see your loved one after you divorce the other parent. Although it's frustrating, your situation isn't unique. There are reports of a growing trend of parents who keep other parents from their children after they divorce. However, family court now holds unfair parents legally responsible for their actions. Here are things you can do to help a family law attorney strengthen your rights as a parent.

Document Missed or Changed Visitation Schedules

If family court devised a visitation schedule for you and your little one, your ex-spouse doesn't have the right to change it to suit their needs unless they ask the court to change it. In this case, the other parent must have a good reason to do so. The missed visitation times may affect your relationship with your child now and in the future. Your little one may think that you don't want to spend time with you and develop negative feelings toward you. 

It's a good idea that you document the visitation days you miss with your child, including the dates and times. Also, include the explanations given to you by the other spouse. Give the documentation to a family law attorney who will submit it to family court.

Family court may order you and the other parent back to court to discuss the missed visitation times. If the other parent doesn't have a legitimate reason for each changed visitation time, the court may fine them. However, it's important that you discuss the possible outcome of the court visit with an attorney. 

Keep Track of Your Child Support Payments

It's essential that you keep track of your child support payments during the missed visitation times. Receiving child support doesn't give the ex-spouse the right to withhold your visitation rights. In addition, if the other parent says you don't pay child support, your records will show that you do. It's a good idea that you make your child support payments directly from a banking account. An attorney can use your checking account statements as proof that you pay child support.

Once an attorney presents your evidence to family court, the court will most likely reinforce your visitation rights by changing the order. The court may choose to have a mediator attend your visits to ensure that you get to see your little one.

For more information, contact Ritter & LeClere APC Attorneys At Law or a similar firm.