Dealing With Custody And A Constantly Traveling Parent

Depending on the jobs of the parents, it is common for one parent to get more time than the other during a split custody agreement. If one parent is a regular traveler, which means they often have to go out of the city or state, custody agreements may need to look different than usual. Here are some tips for dealing with a split custody agreement and traveling parent in a way that makes it easier for the children. 

Play it by ear monthly

Instead of setting up a standing custody agreement, you may need to set up the custodial arrangements fresh each month. This will allow the traveling parent times to find out their schedule and when they will be able to see the children for sure. This will also allow the parent who is most often with the children to plan their own free time for the month and any necessary activities. If you need to operate on a month to month schedule, you should submit the schedules to your child custody attorneys to make sure that the court has the schedule. This way if one parent stops operating based on the schedule, you can note their non-compliance. 

Let the children go along on a visit

Older children especially can get a lot of value out of traveling and family trips. Allow the children to go with the other parent to a new place quarterly if they will have a little free time once they reach their destination. If the children are old enough to do things for themselves such as fix foods, entertain themselves, and be responsible for their belongings, they may find going to a new city to be a great vacation with their other parent. 

Allow home visits

If one parent is a pilot or works on sets that often travel, they may not know when they will be in town. They may also not operate a home in the city where the children reside. If the two of you are on good terms as individuals, allowing the parent to come to the home and remain there for visits can be a good idea. This way the children get to spend as much time as possible in one space and the other parent does not have to always find a venue to host the children. This may also lead to more help around the house with the children for the stationary parent. 

Contact a lawyer like Kenneth J. Molnar for more information and assistance.